Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Audrey Landers Returns to "Dallas"

Audrey Landers will reprise her role of Afton in
Dallas this year. (Courtesy of Audrey Landers)

Beautiful Audrey Landers, best-known as Afton Cooper in Dallas, graced the small screen with appearances in Burn Notice, Murder She Wrote, Burke’s Law, Silk Stockings, and Cosby, among countless other shows. I interviewed Audrey last summer about her scenes with Carolyn Jones in a 1979 episode of Fantasy Island called “Tattoo’s Romance.” The story called for Carolyn’s character, Ellie Simpson, described as a “selfish and bitter woman,” to exploit Tattoo’s (Herve Villechaize) infatuation with her niece, Donna May Calloway (played by Audrey), who is an aspiring country-western singer.

Audrey went on guest star in four other episodes of Fantasy Island, but “Tattoo’s Romance” was her first and last opportunity to act opposite Carolyn Jones. Audrey’s memories of working with Carolyn were included in my book, In Morticia’s Shadow. We also discussed the similarities between Audrey's characters in Fantasy Island and Dallas:

James Pylant:  You played an aspiring singer in Fantasy Island, but your character’s true passion was to be a songwriter. You’re a singer and songwriter, so I guess you related to that character to some extent.

Audrey Landers: I did. And I remember when my agent pushed for me to get it, it was quite a coup. Typically Fantasy Island had, you know, more established actors, although I had done soaps throughout my whole childhood and teen years. That was a whole different world. It’s funny that it was the beginning for the parts that I played from then on. In Dallas I also played a singer.

JP: Did that have a part in your getting the Dallas role as well?

AL: Actually, no. The character was never intended to be a singer. And the producers wrote that in, as a part of the character. Yeah, so it evolved from the fact that I do sing. And write songs.

JP: I have to ask you--what do you think of the new Dallas series?

AL: I missed the first episode because I was in London, but I did watch, and I really enjoyed it. I thought the writing was excellent. I loved the characters. Mostly, they need me in it! (laughs)

JP: That was going to be my next question! I've heard some rumors that there’s an opportunity for Afton to come in with one of the mysterious story lines . . .

AL: Of course . . .

JP:  Especially with the character of Rebecca. What do you think?

AL: Well, you know, I think it makes a lot of sense. It really does. I mean, in the last incarnation of Dallas, Afton had a daughter who was a teenager who was running around with the Ewing boys. And she was named Rebecca. It only makes sense. The writers have decided to ignore that for now.

JP: That’s what went through my mind with the new show’s Rebecca.

AL: Yeah, mine too! And you know, I've been in touch with them a little bit, and we’re talking, but I have no definite answers yet.

A couple of months after our interview, Audrey gave me an update about Dallas: “The news is I will return--but exactly when is a secret.” The second season of Dallas premieres on TNT, January 28, 2013.

UPDATE: Audrey's return to Dallas airs Monday, Mar. 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment